It’s not something that many people do anymore, especially not day-to-day in their daily life, but making clothes has not died out. I’m not talking about fast fashion or people who make their clothes as part of their job, but to take time from their spare time to make dresses or to make clothes that they plan to wear everyday rather than shop for new ones is something that is just as popular as ever as long as you can find your tribe.
Dusting off your sewing machine and spending time actually making your own clothes may feel like a very long winded way of getting the design that you want, but it’s also a great way to spend some time. Crafting can be exciting, especially when you are making yourself something to wear. Being able to choose the fabrics, determine the shape and the size of the pattern and ensure that you are feeling comfortable and good within yourself as a result. It’s just exciting, isn’t it? If you’re still on the fence, here are some reasons you should go ahead and start making your own clothes.
- It’s good for the environment. In a world of fast fashion and supermarkets and fashion chains that don’t care about the third world. You can make a big difference by making sure that you are creating things that are better for the environment than anything else. You’ve heard that landfills are growing rapidly and they’re being filled with fabrics and materials that really could have been avoided going into the landfill in the first place. You could be a part of that change and make clothing as eco-friendly as you would like.
- You are your own factory. If you don’t support fast fashion and you don’t want to support anyone who uses children to make clothing in the third world, then it’s a good idea to stop using those companies and start being your own fashion factory. When you are sewing your own clothes, if your fabric has been sourced properly and very well, then you are the factory where you are reducing toxic chemicals and eliminating child labour.
- You can create your own bullet wardrobe. A capsule wardrobe is everything when you are trying to reduce the space that you use but are trying to maximize what you have. Capsule wardrobes are all the rage for a good reason, and you can create your own one when you are making your own clothes at home. The best part here is that you get to dictate what goes into your clothing and what your look will be, and anytime you have a change of heart you can simply just create something new.
- The size will actually be true to you. Most women will find that they can go into six different shops and come out with six different sizes. And despite the fact the clothes are the different sizes for every shop, each of those sizes will still fit perfectly. Because what one fashion designer views one size another fashion designer views to be another. It’s confusing and horrible on the body image, but when you are creating your own clothes, you won’t have this problem anymore.
- Your clothes will fit you better. When you have measured your own body and you are making your clothing yourself, you will find that they fit you better than anything you’ve ever worn before. Not only is this exciting, it means that they’re going to last you for longer because you’ll only need to make new clothes when you’re ones that you have created stop fitting you. Not only will it save you money in the long run, but it will mean that the clothes that you are making are more valuable to you and will last you for longer.
- You get to decide everything from the pattern to the color of the fabric. You get to decide everything that you wear, which can be exciting when you are making your own clothes.You’re not beholden to the trends or to what other fashion designers deem appropriate. And if you are approaching middle age and you don’t want to dress like a teenager in a crop top, you don’t have to, because you can create clothes that take you far and away from this particular trend.
- It’s fun. Being able to get your hands stuck into some materials and sewing equipment is exciting. It’s a fun way to spend your time and anything that you could create will be loved by all of your friends and family because you have made it for yourself. Eventually you might even see that they want your clothes for themselves.